
SAYDNAYA/MA'ALOULA:Crusaders of the Old, Old Churches
Here are some pictures of me and some CASA students as we explore some churches in the Sayyedna and Maaloula-- I literally went to a shrine from the First Century!! And, they still speak Aramaic and Syriac here! No joke. Speaking of which, I was walking down a street near my house the other day and stopped dead when I saw some writing that looked like Hebrew. I asked like every person I knew how on earth there was a store with it's sign written in Hebrew!? All of my oh-so-smartsy and intellectual CASA friends tried to laugh at me and said "Oh haha Erika, you've just never seen Armenian before have you? The scripts are very similar actually." (SO not true). I love it when smart people try to unnecessarily stretch the limits of their knowledge and instead make themselves look embarrassingly stupid. Because the laugh is on YOU my friends...just try passing off your Armenian knowledge on a Glendale girl--really. Anyway, after going to Sayyedna and Ma'aloula, I learned the truth--it's Syriac and Hebrew that look almost identical!
Me and my friend Chris, also in CASA







No comments:
Post a Comment